Copied system partitions to USB disk, how to proceed to make a clone?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 11:47:44 UTC 2021

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 21:50:54 +1100, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

>I've lost track of what you can and cannot do on this mysterious box,
>but if you can boot off a self-contained USB stick then all the disk
>partitions can be copied, because none will be mounted - or if they
>are, they can be unmounted without danger.

As it is now I can ONLY boot to Ubuntu 20.04.3 either the desktop or the server
version usinbg grub.
No option to boot from USB anywhere to be seen.

When I *was* able to start Windows10 on the Lenovoi (it *was* in the grub menu
until recently) then I could do the following from Windows:
Shift down
click: Start-Power-Reboot

This brought up a Windows menu where I could select from where to boot, the USB
drive was listed so clicking that booted the USB.

No other method has worked on this PC to boot off USB!

On the original server PC (now retired) I could never boot from USB at all, but
if I burned a CD I could boot off that by inserting it into the DVD drive and
power cycle the PC. It would load the CD and run the live content.

But on the Lenovo there is no DVD drive available...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden