[Ubuntu 18.04] How to keep windows local to each virtual desktop?

Maxim Blinov maxim.a.blinov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 11:56:46 UTC 2021

I see, fair enough. In any case I should have spent another half hour
digging about in google results, because I've actually found[1] what I
was looking for (atleast, as far as alt-tab goes):

To alt-tab only between apps on the current desktop, you need the
alternate-tab extension
[https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/Extensions/alternate-tab].

Then, to prevent grouping by application (which is apparently no
longer needed[2] since GNOME 3.30) install the Alt-tab workspace
extension [https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/310/alt-tab-workspace/]

To install the extensions follow [3], and to enable follow [4].

The taskbar still shows all the apps of the given type across all
desktops, where I would prefer it to only show those in the current
desktop - I guess I could hack together a gnome extension if it isn't
too difficult.

Maxim

[1] https://askubuntu.com/questions/54994/force-alttab-show-only-active-desktop-apps-in-gnome-shell
[2] https://blogs.gnome.org/fmuellner/2018/10/11/the-future-of-alternatetab-and-why-you-need-not-worry/