Storing big (bigger than 4GiB) files on a USB flash drive

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 17:51:37 UTC 2021

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 00:28:49 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>On 28/11/21 12:18 am, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:54:22 -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
>>> I reformatted it as exfat
>>
>> If possible don't use exfat, it's a PITA to use by Linux
>> installs, consider to follow the hints provided by Robert Heller.
>>

>I have a a few Samsung T5 external USB SSD's, which are formatted in
>exFAT (they come formatted in that file format), and, so far, I have
>had no problems writing to them, and reading from them, including
>using the file managers PCManFM and Caja (Mate file manager).

Yes, IIRC rw access is without issues.

Apart from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems ,
also take a look at "sudo gparted" > View > File System Support .

Then run gparted without mounting an exfat partition. IIRC gparted does
only provide information about an exfat partition, if an exfat partition
is mounted.

At least you can't resize exfat partitions and IIRC creating one by
Linux is tricky, too, let alone that it doesn't provide UNIX
permissions.

To share date between iPadOS and Linux I tested a few file systems,
among others exfat, but I decided against exfat, in favour of hfs+,
which also suffers from issues.

YMMV!