Does installing desktop on Ubuntu Server turn it into the desktop version?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 14:13:03 UTC 2021

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 at 19:04, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:

> /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv   20G  6.3G   13G  34% /

Hang on -- vg? Volume Group? So you are using LVM? Why? Seems like
extra, unnecessary complication in a VM.

> /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv   20G  8.3G   11G  45% /

> I have a hard time figuring out the mapping between what df -h shows and what
> GParted shows...

This may in part be because of volume groups/LVM. I suggest maybe try
again without that?

Also beware of real gigabytes versus marketing gigabytes.

Real computer units use powers of 2.

1 kB = 1024 bytes.
1 MB = 1048576 bytes
1 GB = 1024 MB = 1073741824 bytes

Marketing uses SI definitions because they look more impressive.

1 kB = 1000 bytes
1 MB = 1000000 bytes
1 GB = 1000000000 bytes

Therefore

1 marketing kB = 1.02 kB
1 marketing MB = 1.05 MB (naturally you round up)
1 marketing GB = 1.07 GB

This led to binary units.

1024 kiB = 1MiB
1024 MiB = 1 GiB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Sadly Linux is not very uniform when it comes to applying this...
because it is not 1 piece of software by 1 company, but 8000 pieces of
software by different people and groups, flying in *very* close
formation.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053