Thunderbird is causing my laptop to run hot

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sat Nov 20 11:44:47 UTC 2021

On 20 November 2021 10:54:51 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 at 00:57, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:
>>
>> I have a few XUL plugins, especially Enigmail and Mail Redirect, which
>> are essential in my work.
>
> The functionality of Enigmail is built in now, so the extension is superfluous.

Not in the version which came with Mint 20.whatever, but that would be
handy for the future, thanks. "Not all of Enigmail’s functionality is
offered by Thunderbird 78 yet…" so def one day.

> I looked up Mail Redirect. Yes, I can see that might be a problem.
> It's not something I've ever needed or wanted.

I triage mail so much of it is properly the business of other people to
answer, and Redirection means their replies will go back to the sender
where they belong, not to me.

>> I had not noticed that. (Mostly I use keystrokes if I can, rather than
> toolbar buttons, and in regularly-used apps I tend to turn off as many
> toolbars as I can.

Yes, fortunately the keys still work.

>> and there is still no RETHREAD function (# and & in Mutt)
>
> You want to rebuild threads? Gosh. Why? What are the circumstances
> this might arise?

Very often I get mail (particularly from lists) where the sender has not
used Reply but Create/New instead (and presumably copied or retyped the
Subject). Or they are using a brain-dead corporate MUA which fails to
preserve the threading information in replies. Bear in mind most people
don't understand how threads work, and think it has something to do with
the Subject.

So I don't want to rebuild entire threads, just push an individual message
into an existing thread at the location it belongs. AFAIK only Mutt offers
this.

Sometimes when someone starts a new topic in an existing thread, it's good
to be able to break the thread at that point so that subsequent replied are
kept separate.

A script for Tbird would probably do the job if the language is capable of
rewriting headers. It would need to let the user click and drag a message,
highlighting the locations between the messages you pass over with a popup
line, and then reading the headers of the message above where you let go
the button, and using them to rewrite the headers so that the message will
be correctly sorted, and then somehow pushing the updated message back to
the IMAP server so it's sync'd for access from other devices in future.
Mutt seems to do it right.

Here endeth the Lesson.

Peter