Ventoy

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 23:25:45 UTC 2021

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 at 19:37, MR <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't reformat the USB, just deleted the Win10 ISO contents and copied the ISO and a couple of others.

Hm. OK then. It's FAT32 so there shouldn't be any issues with weird
Windows hidden files or anything.

> Haven't tested it yet, but I feel better about it.

Good!

> I don't know that this has anything to do with COVID per se.  I'm in a lot of new territory here (first CPU I've had in decades that did not have an integrated GPU, and that threw me more than I like to admit) with very little time to dig too deep.  I follow what I can from Google results, and when the detailed, painstakingly posted methods don't work, even when they seem perfectly reasonable, I (probably?) take the shortcut of posting here in hopes that you, my expert efriends, have an answer.
>
> I did get psychological testing about 8 months after my ordeal and it showed I was perfectly sound of mind.  I'll not take your comment personally as I know you mean the best, thank you.

Good! I really didn't mean it as any kind of a dig.

I lost my desktop machine when I changed jobs recently. They've given
me a work laptop that I'm not currently using because my old one is
fine and has a docking station, so it's easy to drive 2 external
screens. I am waiting for a gadget to arrive from Amazon Germany that
_should_ let me connect the new one to my old Apple Thunderbolt
Display, which is the best monitor I have by far.

The new machine has caused me a number of, um, learning experiences,
shall we say. All my own laptops are old, mostly Thinkpads. This is a
shiny new Dell with UEFI, a GUID-partitioned NVMe SDD in RAID mode,
Bitlocker, USB-C/Thunderbolt and more. It's like nothing else I've
ever used and it has forced me to go and find out a tonne of stuff.

Luckily I had a decent working machine to use for the actual day-job!

I do now have it dual-booting Linux Mint (I know, I know) with
Cinnamon, because I will need a desktop that can handle multiple
displays with different DPIs. Unity can't, Xfce can't. I can't stand
GNOME or KDE. I tried Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix in a VirtualBox and it has
an awful combination of a retina-damaging **ORANGE!!!*** colour scheme
plus none of the Cinnamon accessories -- instead, only GNOME ones,
with the irritating Client Side Decoration fake titlebar things.

I erased that pretty quick.

Mint has nice sane calm colour schemes.

It caused me more work than Ubuntu. I've re-added Snap support, added
a PPA to get LibreOffice 7, got most of my normal apps installed,
added a far more current kernel than Mint's ancient one, and it's
working OK so far.

However, the Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt convertor I bought didn't
work. Amazon refunded me for it about 15min ago and I've ordered a 3rd
party one that some people report success with -- we will see, when it
arrives.

There has been a lot to explore and learn. I am glad it wasn't on an
important machine, that's the main thing.

So you have my sympathies for new-hardware woes. If I'd been under any
pressure, I'd hate this machine. As it is, it's all right. I may in
the end be OK with it.

> I will remember not to pester the list with any more seemingly inane questions until I have exhausted the possibilities I find on the web.

No no no! It's fine! I was actually trying to encourage you to ask _first!_

> Thanks for all the help and support.  I hope to contribute more of the same for others as we go.

My pleasure.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053