Ventoy

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:56:26 UTC 2021

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 at 12:49, Ian Bruntlett <ian.bruntlett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone here used Ventoy? (https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html)
>
> Am thinking of creating some Ventoy USB sticks as Christmas presents.

You remind me of this pic...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyyRd1iUcAEryDe?format=png

:-)

Saying that, I did give a mate a floppy with SETI at home on it in his
birthday card once...

Yes, I use Ventoy. It's fantastic. It works really well. I have used
it to install Windows 10, Ubuntu, Mint, VoidLinux and other OSes.
Saying that, I did encounter problems trying it with TinyXP, Windows
7, eComStation, Hello System and some other less-common OSes. It also
doesn't work with Memtest86 and BIOS-update ISOs in my experience:
AIUI it has specific support for booting a long list of OSes and can't
work with any old random ISO.

I find it very useful that it works on Intel Macs. I had to update my
Ventoy USB key to a newer version of Ventoy recently, though, because
it didn't work on a new UEFI laptop with Linux Mint. Apparently a
known problem and there is a workaround, but it only works on very
recent versions of Ventoy.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053