Share Home between 2 releases

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 09:17:15 UTC 2021

This one didn't make it through the list.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 10:05:10 +0100
From: Ralf Mardorf
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Share Home between 2 releases

On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 09:30:49 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 at 09:19, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to share (if safe) one ~Home (dir not partition)
>
>You can't. It has to be a dedicated partition.

Hi,

theoretically you can. Assuming all app configs and app data files are
compatible (even among different versions of the software) and you
share among users with the same uid.

What I'm doing instead is using links...

[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ ls -Al | grep /mnt
lrwxrwxrwx  1 weremouse users          43 Oct  6  2015 .bogofilter -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.bogofilter
lrwxrwxrwx  1 weremouse users          43 Oct  6  2015 .claws-mail -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.claws-mail
lrwxrwxrwx  1 weremouse users          42 Oct  6  2015 Claws Mail -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/Claws Mail

...if the compatibility is granted. In the above example the Ubuntu
user "weremouse" and the Arch user "rocketmouse" both have got uid 1000.

Other apps don't share config or data files.

When doing this, a user should know what s/he is doing.
Btw. the above example is for a mail client using local stored POP
account messages, for a mail client using IMPA accounts it's moot to
consider doing this.

Regards,
Ralf