The mess that is 'default browser'

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Mon Nov 8 18:15:34 UTC 2021

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 06:12:29 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/11/2021, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 at 10:38, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Just out of interest, you do realise that Opera is now owned (and
> >> controlled?) by China, don't you?
> >>
> >> Some years ago, the Norwegian Opera company/organisation sold
> >> Opera to China.
> >
> > This is true.
> >
> > Some of the company founders now offer a new browser, Vivaldi. Both
> > are based on the Google engine from Chrome, though, as is MS Edge,
> > now available for Linux too.
> >
> >> Thence, I stopped using Opera.
> >

> > Your choice. You might like Vivaldi, then.
> >

> I have tried both vivaldi and brave, and, amongst other things, found
> them to be too demanding of resources.

Agreed. On my old box, with very modest memory, all the chrome knockoffs
were terrible. I did a large memory upgrade and it was quite a bit
better - useful if you don't have too much open at once. On another box
with even more mem it sort of works well, but still overloads with too
much open. FF is also not good when loaded a lot.

> And, "the Google engine from Chrome" appears to be the most unstable
> software that I have encountered, comparable with Debian experimental.
> I frequently get hung web browsers and other software, and, the path
> of the "unresponsive script" message that usuaslly shows about one or
> two hours after they system has become unusable (which frequently
> happens), starts with chrome. And, I do not have the chrome browser
> installed, regarding it as part of the Borg - the more evil and
> powerful Borg than micros@@t.

I guess I'd run chrome if someone had a gun to my head. :-))