The mess that is 'default browser'

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sun Nov 7 18:50:12 UTC 2021

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 17:36:31 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/11/2021, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > I have recently changed from Firefox to Opera on one of my systems.
> > So I told Opera to set itself as the default browser, hmmmm!
> >

> Just out of interest, you do realise that Opera is now owned (and
> controlled?) by China, don't you?
>
> Some years ago, the Norwegian Opera company/organisation sold Opera
> to China.
>
> Thence, I stopped using Opera.

So did I. Used Opera for a long time - was a VERY nice browser. Moved to
Firefox, is OK. Now using FF, Vivaldi, Safari, Waterfox. Folks digging a
bit deeper think Brave is perhaps the most private of the many Chrome
knockoffs, so I use that a lot. Use Konq and others once in a while.

> So, I suppose, if you are happy being a servant of the Chinese
> government, then that is your choice.

Not a servant, but I avoid Chinese stuff. I've had to replace several
devices/tools in the last couple of months, and much stuff over the
years. "Name brand" stuff is somewhat better - maybe they watch quality
better even if Chinese mfg.