how to determine network device names

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Nov 8 13:19:17 UTC 2021

On Monday 08 November 2021 07:14:38 Little Girl wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> hput via ubuntu-users wrote:
> >Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> writes:
> >> ip address | grep "BROADCAST" | cut -d' ' -f2 | cut -d':' -f1
> >
> >wlp2s0
> >
> >I think that is a wireless device ... I want ethernet
>
> Interesting. From Gene Heskett's reply in this thread, it should give
> you a list of all available devices.

I'm Gene. The only machine out of 6 here that has more than 1 net device
is an rpi4.

Its wifi is disabled by rfkill because I have never set ihe region, a
convenient way to keep a neighbors cell phone from useing 80 gigs a
month of my bandwidth by sneaking in on my side of a dd-wrt flashed
router But the device is still listed. It does not have to be up and
functioniing. I replaced a wifi equipt router out in an outbuilding with
a fast hub, for the same reason.

> >`ip route' gives no output at all so cannot pass it on

If you don't have a route, you don't have a net.

> >Also since I posted this query I discovered `ip link' too.
> >
> >  `ip link' also shows the same wireless device
>
> Does it also show any other devices or just that one?
>
> >I have wireless turned off at the keyboard but the last address this
> >laptop had was a wireless address.
>
> I believe it will keep that device until it's told not to.
>
> >How can I dredge up or create an ethernet device?
>
> This page shows how to disable wireless network access in Ubuntu:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1203872/how-to-disable-wireless-networ
>k-interface-wlp2s0
>
> And this page shows how to enable wired network access in Ubuntu:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-wired-connect.html.en
>
> >I guess it is passe these days but:
> >
> >I'm pretty sure ifconfig would dredge it up if it were available but
> >I guess that is old fashioned.
>
> Yeah, that command is no longer used. It limited hardware addresses
> to 8 bytes, so it's been replaced.

And for those of us still in ipv4 territory, thats been painfull.  Here
in north central WV, the nearest ipv6 enabled connection is probably in
Pittsburgh, 160+ miles up the superslab. Since I can get, if I want to
pay for it, a 50 megaBYTE connection from my local cable, but can play a
you tube video with a 10 megabaud basic, I don't need that 50 megabyte
and its cost.

> --
> Little Girl
>
> There is no spoon.