how to determine network device names

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 12:14:38 UTC 2021

Hey there,

hput via ubuntu-users wrote:

>Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> writes:

>> ip address | grep "BROADCAST" | cut -d' ' -f2 | cut -d':' -f1
>
>wlp2s0
>
>I think that is a wireless device ... I want ethernet

Interesting. From Gene Heskett's reply in this thread, it should give
you a list of all available devices.

>`ip route' gives no output at all so cannot pass it on
>
>Also since I posted this query I discovered `ip link' too.
>
>  `ip link' also shows the same wireless device

Does it also show any other devices or just that one?

>I have wireless turned off at the keyboard but the last address this
>laptop had was a wireless address.

I believe it will keep that device until it's told not to.

>How can I dredge up or create an ethernet device?

This page shows how to disable wireless network access in Ubuntu:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1203872/how-to-disable-wireless-network-interface-wlp2s0

And this page shows how to enable wired network access in Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-wired-connect.html.en

>I guess it is passe these days but:
>
>I'm pretty sure ifconfig would dredge it up if it were available but
>I guess that is old fashioned.

Yeah, that command is no longer used. It limited hardware addresses
to 8 bytes, so it's been replaced.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.