[off-topic] China - Was: The mess that is 'default browser'

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 21:58:47 UTC 2021

On 07/11/2021, Lily White <lilywhite2005 at outlook.com> wrote:
> Though I believe you can hardly live a day without using, either directly or
> indirectly, any Chinese products.
>
> That’s why free software is more important today, it’s something you can
> trust, without anyone’s interference.

It is notsomuch a question of chinese products overall - we have a
rooftop photovoltaic system that has chines photovoltaic panels and a
chinese inverter,  and most electronic equipment and motor vehicles
are now made in china.

But, when china uses software for human rights violations including
acts of terrorism, then, would you really trust "free" software from
china, especially, software such as a web browser?

It is kind of like accepting "free" security "services" from the
gestapo or the kgb. And, as the man said, in the Kingsmen movie
"Nobody even knows the name of the chinese spy agency", or, words to
that effect.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale