AMD CPU locks up during video playback

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 06:31:06 UTC 2021

Here's a new one I haven't seen since I stopped using AMD CPUs a few
years ago and went with Intel only.  I'm hoping there's a simpler
solution than another new M/B-CPU combo (just did that).

I'm running Xubuntu 21.10 with a brand new ASUS X570-Pro M/B, Ryzen 9
5950 CPU, 32GB Crucial DDR4-3200 RAM and a brand new NVidia GEForce GT
710 Video card (this one gives me the 2k res I need on HDMI).

For the second or third time now, I've been watching a video in Brave
(Version 1.31.88 Chromium: 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) unknown
(64-bit)), I think both times they were GotoWebinar playbacks
(recordings, not live) when the mouse and keyboard stopped responding
and the system just hung.  The video stops, but the sound on the video
continues for about three minutes before it also stops.  The only
recovery I've been able to do that seems to work is rebooting.

Chrome used to have an incompatibility with AMD pre-Ryzen CPUs that
caused freezes, or crashes - can't remember which, 6 or 7 years ago.
I believe that was fixed and probably (hopefully) does not apply to
the Ryzen CPUs.

I checked both /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log, the most
recently updated log files, and there's nothing in there except a time
gap right around the reboots.  No errors, nothing special, just
nothing at all.

Any clues?  Where else should I be looking?  Any BIOS settings that
might affect this?  I have virtualization turned on so my VBox VMs
work (nicely).

Here's hoping...

Mark Richter, Senior Software Engineer
Award-winning Author, "Mystic Prince"