OT - smartphones and their place - was - Re: Free token for 16.04 Extended Security Maintenance

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Fri May 14 18:55:50 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-05-14 at 22:52 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 14/05/2021, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> I have and use a smartphone.

Me too!

> I do not remember where you are, but, here, in Western Australia, we
> have supposedly compulsory "contact tracing", whereby everyone who
> enters premises with walls, that are accessible to the public, is
> supposedly required by law, to "check in", using either an
> application on the person's smartphone,

Me, southern England.

We too have the posters with coronavirus check in QR codes on them that
may or may not have been tampered with by hackers. I totally ignore
them and have never been challenged by anyone although I've not been to
a pub since last July.

I've been following the rules about putting a cloth or something over
my mouth and nose while inside shops and I'll be getting my second
vaccine dose on 1st June but if anyone thinks I'm going to voluntarily
install government spyware on my personal digital devices they can
think again.

Dave