Misleading YouTube video raspi ubuntu

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu May 13 12:23:27 UTC 2021

On Thu, 13 May 2021 at 13:03, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> I believe the original intent was for a wireless headless robot -- in this
> case Wifi without a keyboard/monitor makes some sense.

Aha. ISWYM. OK, then, agreed.

> But I'm guessing that
> Ubuntu server [headless Ubuntu] is not geared towards Wifi

Not really. It does it, it's documented and supported, and there are
plenty of HOWTOs and things.

But it's tricky and a pain.

I reckon the safe, easy way is to configure the OS using an Ethernet
cable, and using that connection, configure your wifi connection and
get it running stably... *then* unplug the cable.

> and Ubuntu desktop,
> which supports Wifi out-of-the-box does not have sshd out-of-the-box, so there
> are weirdnesses going on here...

Agreed.

> Actually, I think Ubuntu server might not
> have had sshd as part of the base install (I think I needed to install
> openssh-server later), but I don't know if that applies to the Raspberry Pi
> images.

That's a good question. I know I did it and I think it _is_
preinstalled, but I didn't actually set up my RPi4 server headless. I
used a screen and keyboard and Ethernet to get it working, then
configured wifi later. I don't think I needed to add OpenSSH.

> I know that openssh-server is installed in the Raspbian images (just
> not started by default). The Beagle images all have sshd started by default.

Most distros do.

But the Ubuntu policy was a good idea: *no* open ports at all by
default means that you do not need a firewall.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com