chromium in ubuntu-deb is actually snap package (Was Re: How do we disable the snap stuff)

Robbi Nespu robbinespu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 04:09:25 UTC 2021

On 7/30/21 9:42 AM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe not by default, but when installing a program by an Ubuntu DEB
> package, then under the hood it might install the program by a snap.
>
> "In 19.10, the chromium-browser deb package (and related packages) have
> been made a transitional package that contains only wrapper scripts and
> a desktop file for backwards compatibility. When upgrading or
> installing the deb package on 19.10, the snap will be downloaded from
> the Snap Store and installed." -
> https://snapcraft.io/blog/chromium-in-ubuntu-deb-to-snap-transition
>
> "[...] Transitional package - chromium-browser -> chromium snap
>   [...] depends [...] snapd Daemon and tooling that enable snap packages"
> - https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/chromium-browser
>
> Linux get out of the users control. You might think it's only Ubuntu
> doing something freakish, but no, a very prominent example are drop-in
> configurations.
>
> Due to drop-in configurations it became almost impossible for
> power-users to maintain a highly configured computer. I'm not the only
> user who was bitten by a package overriding important settings in
> /etc/security/limits.conf by a drop-in file. The drop-in directory
>       ^^^^^^^^
> "feature" is a PITA, no matter what distro we are using.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Auch, just checked the source for ubuntu chromium[1] and debian
chromium[2], obviously ubuntu chromium are using snap here. I really
suprise. For debian, I couldn't found if it use snap or not, but it not
obvious like Ubuntu

Wow.. this is allowable by conical? should just remove deprecate
chromium deb on ubuntu and so people are aware there is no chromium deb
but you can use snap directly (instead of undirectly)

reading the articles said:
> Maintaining a single release of Chromium is a significant time investment for the Ubuntu Desktop Team working with the Ubuntu Security team to deliver updates to each stable release. As the teams support numerous stable releases of Ubuntu, the amount of work is compounded.

make me perplexed, it only time investment? Ubuntu Security team seem
the ones who responsible behind this ideas.it sure malicious and
tricking. I really suprise.. OMG

[1]
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~chromium-team/chromium-browser/focal-stable/view/head:/chromium-browser
[2]
https://salsa.debian.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=snap&group_id=3323&project_id=20972&scope=&search_code=true&snippets=false&repository_ref=debian%2F90.0.4430.212-1_deb10u1&nav_source=navbar

--
Robbi Nespu <robbinespu AT SPAMFREE gmail DOT com>
D311 B5FF EEE6 0BE8 9C91 FA9E 0C81 FA30 3B3A 80BA