ubuntu 16.04. Change label extreme portable SSD

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 18:09:58 UTC 2021

On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 15:45:37 +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>I am curious to see how much the file system HFS+ itself occupies. In
>the case of the 1TB disk exfat occupied some 3 GB which seems a lot.

I've got one empty hfs+ partition on an external USB3 HDD MBR drive.
This empty partition is around 1/3 TiB large and used are around 1/3
GiB. I don't know, if it does increase proportional.

>Also I am not sure which is faster.

I don't know. Btw. performance of a file system depends on several
factors. For example, one file system is faster when handling more
short, than long files and for another file system it's vice versa.
IOW a file system often isn't per se faster or slower. The field of
application makes the difference.

How about security? Exfat is not journaled. It seems to be needed to use
hfs+ non-journaled for Linux access, even while it is a journaled file
system, so in this regards it makes no difference, but as already
pointed out, hfs+ supports quasi Linux compatible Unix permissions.