ZTE phones as modems on Beaver - anyone try that?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 18:54:36 UTC 2021

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 02:34:33AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 16/12/2021, Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to get a consumers' cellular phone to act as a USB modem on
> > a laptop running Ubuntu Bionic Beaver.  The drivers on the phone did not
> > install correctly and they are labelled for earlier versions.
> > There is confusing stuff on places like stackexchange.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> What is the beaver thing, and, do the cellphone and the computer, not have wifi?

I can never remember the name or number - I think 16 is Xenis or something
but not sure if Beaver is 18 or 20. I just happen to have Beaver
on the Laptop and 16 on this workstation. Neither one worked
with my consumer cellular phone that routinely tries
to Bluetooth null files :)

Sure, they have wifi but right now the laptop connection just
died and its operating unattended. A backup would be nice and
if it is fast enough maybe I can get rid of the other connection.

But assuming I can get it to work, are there apps that are USB
controlled?

It is probably just something with the consumer cellular
set of stuff.

Thanks

> Using a wifi cellphone as a wifi hotspot, for use as a 4G modem,
> should be simple.

You would think that...
I have an older Verizon phone I will try as soon as I get a chance.