After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 11:40:16 UTC 2020

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 23:01, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> I link here my issue that is yet to be solved. There are few replies to that, but non of them were helpful.

A couple of suggestions:
* respect mailing list etiquette: use plain text, no formatting, and
put replies at the bottom underneath the trimmed text you are replying
* don't make us go hunting for info on other sites. Give us the
essential info in your first mail.

>  And I find subscribing to the Launchpad to report a bug too cumbersome for a normie user.

I think you have an Ubuntu One account if you are posting on the
forums. Log in with that.

>  If anyone could do it on my behalf that would be awesome.

We can't. It needs your computer to fill in the logs, settings etc.

Here's a video that explains how to do it:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/how-to-file-a-bug-in-ubuntu

> As I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. I can't believe there are no other people in the world with similar set up. Now the Kernel updates are already on 5.4.0.-52 The last Kernel that works is the -42 one that I need to boot with. Soon the system asks me to clean the old kernels so it would be good get this solved soon.
>
> After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost
>
>> Dear people, I realized that after recent updates between 31.8-2.9 2020 Ubuntu Studio loses the second display ...

Digging through your replies, reading the forum posts, I am trying to
guess your problem. I should not have to do this.

As far as I can gather:
• You have a Dell Precision M4700, but we do not know what GPU or what driver
• You are running Ubuntu Studio but we do not know what version
• You have a 2nd display but we do not know what it is or how it is
connected or if you've tried other connections
• You do have the latest firmware update
• The problem goes away with an older kernel
• Your system is also losing its wifi connection

If you can fill in some of the blanks I have listed above we can try
to say more.

Meantime, all I can offer are generalisations:
• If you have GPU switching, disable it
• Identify your GPU and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer
• Try a different connection, try a different cable, try a different screen
• Does putting it to sleep and waking it make any difference?
• Have you tried other OSEs/distros? Are they also affected?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com