CLARIFICATION ABOUT: bad block/superblock on new disk?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat May 23 17:12:56 UTC 2020

On Saturday 23 May 2020 10:17:53 M. Fioretti wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Thanks for the useful feedback received so far, but some of it makes
> me wonder that maybe I did not make one thing clear:
>
> both the disk we and the external case are talking about here are new,
> just unboxed. There are no data to recover. I "only" need to
>
> a) figure out if any of those two pieces is completely unusable,
>    because defective from the factory, or damaged in shipping
>
> 2) if the drive is usable, just to format it, minus any damaged
>    sector, so I can use it as EXTRA backup unit, in addition to
>    another I already have. I.e. if it turns out that only 90/95% of
>    sectors are usable, that is perfectly OK for me for the time being.
>
> Marco

fdsk has the ability to do a surface scan, and instruct the drive to
re-allocate questionable sectors. But ISTR reading someplace that the
mbr related sectors HAD to be good. I believe you can have it do a dummy
scan just to get a report too, check the man pages.

TBT, I think I'd warranty it at this point. Or check with the makers web
site to see in newer firmware is available.
> --
>
> M. Fioretti http://mfioretti.com
> http://stop.zona-m.net
>
> Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on
> how software is used *around* you

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis