Ubuntu 20.04: No sound

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Tue May 19 16:53:47 UTC 2020

Am Dienstag, den 19.05.2020, 16:20 +0200 schrieb Liam Proven:
> On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 14:21, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de>
> wrote:
> > > https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/vpc-series-vpceb1-series/vpceb1z1e/downloads/Z0000709
> > >
> > > Version R0300Y8
> >
> > So this would upgrade the BIOS. But it's for Windows only. What
> > should
> > I do with this EP0000600184.exe ?  How would one flash a BIOS from
> > Linux anyway?
>
> With difficulty. The machine does not dual-boot? Is there any
> firmware-update option in the BIOS?

No, it's Linux only. I've never used Windows (except for a little at
work). There isn't any firmware-update option in the BIOS. The BIOS
user interface is really small.

> Do you have access to a Windows machine (even a VM)  to run that EXE
> and see if you can create a bootable medium to do it?

I could ask a friend. But, as has been noticed in this thread, it's
very unlikely that it's a BIOS issue.

> I do not understand why you had such difficulty finding this, though.
> I just put the model name of your laptop into Google and there it
> was.

Hmm.. I get a lot of for-me irrelevant stuff about that Vaio
"VPCEB1Z1E" of mine, even from Sony.

> > No. In Settings->Sound->Output->Output device, there is only this
> > "Dummy output".
> [...]
> > What makes me wonder is, why did this work without any problems,
> > when
> > the system was Kubuntu 18.04?
>
> It is 2 years newer software on an old computer.
>
> OK, I googled the specifications of your model number. It has Realtek
> High Definition audio, compatible with Intel.
>
> So then I Googled "realtek high definition audio ubuntu 20.04" and
> found this:
>
> https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/06/fix-no-sound-dummy-output-issue-in.html

That's the same article as the one which Ralf has found. I've tried it,
but without success.

Bye,
Volker