Rhythmbox codec problem

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Fri May 15 20:12:55 UTC 2020

** Reply to message from Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> on Fri, 15 May 2020
20:06:07 +0200

> On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 19:56, Bob <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I had done a reboot.  The reboot took much longer than normal.
> >
> > Rhythmbox still can not fing the needed codec.
> >
> > Anyone have a suggestion on a program that works so I can listen to internet
> > radio?
>
> Weird.
>
> I suspect that most standard Gtk apps use the same codecs, so if one
> doesn't work, the rest won't. I'd be very happy to be wrong about
> that.
>
> I use Parole on openSUSE with XFCE to listen to BBC 6music.

Parole gets the same message as rhythmbox "Additional multimedia codecs
required".  It goes in a loop trying to install the codec so it was hard to
close the program.

> Pragha also works, I think.
>
> VLC can play almost anything.

Does not work either.  No sound and no error messages so I don't know what if
anything is happening.

> Also worth a look...
>
> https://www.fossmint.com/best-radio-streaming-apps-for-linux/

I will look at these to see if any work.

--
Robert Blair

What one person receives without working for...another person must work for without receiving. -- Adrian Rogers