Upgrade from 19.10 to 20.04 failed - upgrade process broken

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Fri May 8 16:10:36 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 14:21 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Well...
>
> Le ven. 8 mai 2020 à 13:38, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> a
> écrit :
> > hi,
> > Am Freitag, den 08.05.2020, 00:54 +0000 schrieb Bret Busby:
> >
> > > Oh, and, at the start of the process, just before I confirmed the
> > > upgrade to occur, a dialogue bos stated that it is (now?) the
> > > development version of 20.04, for testing - indicating that 20.04
> > has
> > > not yet been formally released.
> >
> > which is absolutely correct ... the actual stable->stable upgrades
> > only
> > get enabled with the .1 release in july like it has always been
> > with
> > any LTS.
> >
> > until then you can only upgrade from the prior interim release
> > (19.10)
> > or by forcing the existing LTS (18.04) to upgrade to the 20.04
> > development version.
> >
> > 20.04 ... while released as an iso, really only turns into the
> > actual
> > LTS with the 20.04.1 release ...
> >

> I wouldn't bet on that. Today, my 19.10 automagically proposed to
> upgrade to 20.04. Before that, it wasn't proposing. Usually I force
> the update. But this time I specifically wanted to see what "a few
> days after it is released" means. Well... it means 2 weeks after. :)

I wish they would put the actual number of days after the release that
the upgrade will be offered rather than saying 'shortly'. I don't want
to use the -d option in case it breaks something, but the suspense of
not knowing when it is going to be available is unbearable:-)

> If you run the software upgrader it should propose the update for
> all, since this morning.

Yes, it does. Something for the week-end!

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039