Bash doesn't seem to read /etc/inputrc (or ~/.inputrc) automatically

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Jun 29 11:32:16 UTC 2020

I have been trying to configure my key bindings using readline/inputrc
and it seems to me that bash isn't reading /etc/inputrc or ~/.inputrc
automatically.

Other programs that use readline *do* see my customised /etc/inputrc
or ~/.inputrc, either seems to work.  However bash stubbornly ignores
the settings in either of these files.  The default bashrc set-up sets
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc and I still have that setting but it doesn't seem
to help at all.

I can obviously simply add a "bind -f /etc/inputrc" to my .profile but
it shouldn't really be necessary.

It also appears that bash has its own, compiled in, defaults for key
bindings, are these documented anywhere?

--
Chris Green