pycurl denpendent on libcurl4-openssl-dev or libcurl4-gnutls-dev.

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 09:12:20 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:14 PM Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 15:19:04 +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> >[...] pycurl [...] depends on [...] libcurl4-gnutls-dev
> >[...] if I compile and install the latest curl using its git master
> >source code, should I still need to install the above dependencies?
>
> Hi,
>
> you need to check if there's no soname difference between libs from
> official repositories and curl from git master. If there should be a
> difference, you should keep the shared libraries (files and links) from
> the repositories, but nothing else. If soname is still unchanged, you
> should remove everything curl related from official repositories.

They are using the exactly same names. See following for more information:

# The self-compiled curl git master version:
$ realpath -e /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so.4
/usr/local/lib/libcurl.so.4.6.0

# The curl installed from distro's repo:
$ realpath -e /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4.6.0

> You need to build packages to provide the dependency information, that
> could be needed by the package management.

Do you mean using the debuild tool to build the deb package for it?

> You can't just build and
> install from git master, without building packages.

I've been using this method for very long time, and it does work smoothly.

> Or else, you could,
> it depends, but... What do you want to achieve?

For the case where the packages dependencies problem cannot be solved
by using the ones shipped by the distro's repo.

--
Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>