Installing 20.04 beside Windows?

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Jun 28 19:08:59 UTC 2020

On 6/28/2020 12:20 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
> I have a new laptop, with Win10 installed on it. I would like to
> install Ubuntu 20.04 while keeping Windows bootable.
>
> When I installed 15.10 I seem to recall that Ubuntu had an option to
> resize the Windows partition and install Ubuntu in the remaining space.
> 20.04 doesn't seem to offer that. It recognises that Windows Boot
> Manager is installed though.
>
> Is there a way to resize the Windows partition down to (say) 60 GB and
> install Ubuntu? If it's not easy to do, then I will just overwrite
> Windows, I think.
>
> Regards, K.

> Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
> http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
> http://twitter.com/kauer389

Download GParted from somewhere you trust and burn it to a disk. GParted
can move and create partitions--you start your machine on GParted from
the disk and go on from there. You need to keep the Windows overhead--
the first three partitions, but the third one (if I remember) is the
user partition, and can be shrunk to 100GB or so. Windows also has a
partition way at the end of the disk--leave that. Now you have a large
space between the Windows user partition and the small Windows partition
at the end of the drive, on which to put your Ubuntu system. I'm not
an Ubuntu user, so I don't know how best to partition it, but on
another distro, I like a / (boot) partition with the system overhead on
it, and a /home partition with your user stuff on it.You may want a swap
partition. There are other schemes, with many partitions, and Ubuntu may
default to one large partition with everything on it. (I think this is
dangerous--if you need to reinstall, your personal data is lost.) I am
not a maven, so there may be some better advice out there, but this is
at least a beginning.   --doug