Moving to non-Word formats [long] (was: Re: Having trouble finding a word in multiple files

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 15:51:57 UTC 2020

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 13:51, Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I read the whole thing but did not hit the links. Yes,
> I understand this part but IIRC then it got into all kinds
> of other stuff that sounded like WYSIWYG.

Then I suggest you do.

> And apparently others have pointed out that
> text editors support what you describe to varying degrees.

Not really.

> Again though I had two cases: reading and writing.

It's a tool for writers and writing. Only. Nothing else.

> WYGIWYS lol.

There is no particular need for WYSIWYG. As I have said repeatedly
now, this is a tool derived from the era of text-only apps under
MS-DOS. It is a type of tool that has largely _disappeared_ since
Windows came along.

> In the writing mode that you address it
> sounded like the rendering was occuring as the navigation
> or block moves occured- that I would not need for writing.

How would you know if you haven't tried it?

I use it for shopping lists, for making notes in
lectures/talks/discussions/press conferences, for writing short blog
posts and for writing books. 3 of them so far. Both
http://bit.ly/trabhov and http://bit.ly/trgtws2012 were mainly written
in Word's outline mode.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com