Moving to non-Word formats [long] (was: Re: Having trouble finding a word in multiple files

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:49:36 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 12:03:10PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 01:55, Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This all just sounds like a WYSIWYG editor
>
> [Trims the rest in considerable annoyance]
>
> Then you didn't read it, or the links.
>
> It is nothing whatsoever to do with formatting of any form and the
> technology originates on text terminal screens with zero formatting.

Sorry, I read the whole thing but did not hit the links. Yes,
I understand this part but IIRC then it got into all kinds
of other stuff that sounded like WYSIWYG.
And apparently others have pointed out that
text editors support what you describe to varying degrees.

Again though I had two cases: reading and writing. In the reading
mode it is operating on  rendered text expanding and collapsing
blocks- WYGIWYS lol. In the writing mode that you address it
sounded like the rendering was occuring as the navigation
or block moves occured- that I would not need for writing.

Anyway this is kind of interesting. The other response pointed
to database inegration. I often run into this with citations-
I want to do something with a latex \cite and popup a
browser to the citation text but not sure of a good way to
do this in vi (  I can do it by putting citation on clipboard,
I have the bib files and a parser and clipboard
utils but have not put it together yet. But this is external
to the editor  )