what do you want to see in future apt versions ?

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 15:46:45 UTC 2020

PS: I've forgotten to post this from the same manual page, too:

"All features of apt(8) are available in dedicated APT tools like
apt-get(8) and apt- cache(8) as well.  apt(8) just changes the default
value of some options"

IOW due to default options, the same not necessarily is the same
;).

Btw.'apt' as well as 'apt-get' provide the "option" option.
You will find this hint by the apt-get manual page.

"-o, --option
           Set a Configuration Option; This will set an arbitrary
configuration option. The syntax is -o Foo::Bar=bar.  -o and --option
can be used multiple times to set different options." -
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/focal/man8/apt-get.8.html

It's not mentioned by this manual page what "Foo::Bar=bar" could be for.

"Foo" could be for "APT" or "Dpkg"... it could have a lot of impact and
change behaviour a lot. Those options can not just be confusing, they
(quoting dpkg) "can seriously damage your installation".

Experienced users who do use the "option" option, as I do by scripts,
usually know where to find the required information. If all this would
be provided by the 'apt' manual page, it would become confusing.