what do you want to see in future apt versions ?

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 14:31:25 UTC 2020

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 14:30:39 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 03:20:37PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> Your sources.list file specifies what distro you are using, and if
>> you do not change the version in there, you will not and CANNOT get a
>> newer major version of the distribution, on *buntu, Debian, Mint,
>> whatever.
>>
>However simply running the script /usr/bin/do-release-upgrade does
>take you to a newer major version.  How is the naive[ish] user
>supposed to tell the difference between:-
>
>    apt dist-upgrade
>
>and:-
>
>    do-release-upgrade
>
>I think dist-upgrade should be renamed (or an alias should be added)
>to something like 'dep-upgrade' as that's what it does, it sorts out
>dependencies.

The official command line tool of Ubuntu is 'apt', so you shouldn't
come in touch with 'apt-get', unless you are writing scripts. Btw. I'm
even using 'apt' as 'apt-get' replacement in scripts, without ever
experiencing an issue. Anyway, I'm serious regarding my wish:
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/what-do-you-want-to-see-in-apt/16588/3?u=ralf-mardorf

Removing 'dist-upgrade' from apt-get options would break backwards
compatibility for no reason. And I'll repeat it, other than
'upgrade', 'dist-upgrade' actually could be used to upgrade from one
to another distro release. For a few reasons it's not recommended to
do it, but it could be done.