need file bzip2.pc

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Fri Jul 24 14:37:58 UTC 2020

----- On Jul 24, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 24.07.2020, 11:29 +0200 schrieb Lentes, Bernd:
>> stay healthy
>>
>> ----- On Jul 24, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Bjoern Voigt bjoernv at arcor.de
>> wrote:
>> > There is no file bzip2.pc in Ubuntu (tested with 18.04). I would
>> > recommend to file a bug report.
>
>> Would it make sense to copy the file from a Sysuse system
>> (i have several ones) ?
>> I just installed it on a SuSE and it just contains text:
>>
>> ha-idg-2:~ # less /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/bzip2.pc
>> prefix=/usr
>> exec_prefix=/usr
>> bindir=/usr/bin
>> libdir=/usr/lib64
>> includedir=/usr/include
>
> you would have to very carefully craft the data in there to match the
> required debian/ubuntu paths and values ...
>
> note that this file does not exist upstream [1], was added to SuSE as a
> distro patch only last year [2] and does not exist in debian either [3]
> ... even if it was added to ubuntu via a similar distro patch you
> wouldnt see it added to something as ancient as 16.04 ...
>
> IMHO this is rather a bug in the CPAN package you are trying to use.
> hard depending on such a distro patch isnt really portable ...
> (OTOH Federico Mena Quintero should really have upstreamed it as well
> within that year of carrying it in SuSE :) )
>
> ciao
>	oli
>
> [1] https://sourceware.org/git/?p=bzip2.git;a=tree;h=8ca1faa31f396d94ab
> 927b257f3a05236c84e330;hb=8ca1faa31f396d94ab927b257f3a05236c84e330
>
> [2] https://gitlab.com/federicomenaquintero/bzip2/-/commit/70ec984159c8
> 263fdd4aac7c4670977aff0fe5b3
>
> [3] https://salsa.debian.org/debian/bzip2/-/tree/debian/master

Hi,

to be exact: the problem appeared while trying to install htslib which is a prequisite for the perl package.
I copied the missing file from a SLES 12 SP4 to the Ubuntu host and adapted it:

root at vm53200-16:/home/crispor/htslib-1.10.2# cat /usr/lib/pkgconfig/bzip2.pc
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=/usr
bindir=/usr/bin
libdir=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
includedir=/usr/include

Name: bzip2
Version: 1.0.5
Libs: -L${libdir} -lbz2
Cflags: -I${includedir}

Surely not the cleanest way ... but it worked

Bernd
Helmholtz Zentrum München

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir.in Prof. Dr. Veronika von Messling
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Matthias Tschoep, Kerstin Guenther
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671