Wanted, a simple GUI calendar that uses local files, not evolution server dependent

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 11:20:26 UTC 2020

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 12:06, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> That's partly it, but since Google Calendar no longer offers offline
> working (which it used to via Chromium) it's even less attractive.

OK. This may be relevant:

https://www.kylepiira.com/2020/01/09/why-i-quit-google/

[1] There are "cloud" calendars which are more private than Google
etc., e.g. https://www.fastmail.com/ or run your own
https://nextcloud.com/ or https://owncloud.org/ instance.

[2] Since these days calendars tend to be integrated with email -- I
blame MS and the wretched Outlook -- then use an offline email client
with a calendar.

Because for me being cross-platform is important, I use Thunderbird.
However, if you run mainly or only Linux, I believe GNOME Evolution
can do this too, and it will run on other desktops.

As Evolution is something of an Outlook clone, I personally tried it
and didn't like it and went back to T'bird after trialling CLAWS and
Sylpheed for a month or 2 each.