OT: best FOSS wiki for this classroom scenario?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 13:07:01 UTC 2020

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 19:43, Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 at mtneva.com> wrote:

> Wow, haven't seen Xah Lee's name in a long time.

:-) We used to talk occasionally but when he went full MAGA I cut off contact.

>   I'm afraid ErgoEmacs
> is a little too late for me, repeatedly typing Cntl and y with one hand
> wrecked it a long time ago. :-)

:-)

What I found odd is that when I talk to Emacs groups about it, the
idea of it promoting the editor, helping people get used to it,
gaining them new users, etc. does not wash at all. It feels very like
the old Debian community: we like it just fine how it is, thank you
very much. If newbies are worthy, they will learn it just as we
learned it. Then we will welcome them.

Which is _exactly_ what Ubuntu was set up to counter, of course, and
which it has done very well indeed.

Although without winning a lot of people over from Debian, AFAICT.

Ah well. :shrug:

> Despite being a long time user I only know the little corner I need to
> to do normal text editing things and the only config file I know of is
> ~/.emacs which in my case if full of mysterious and inscrutable stuff
> copy-pasted from various dubious places over the years.

:-) I think that's true of most people, TBH.