Confused Over Sudo / User Issue.....

Eddie O'Connor eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 05:28:58 UTC 2020

Hello Ubuntu Community!....bit of a long story here so grab a coffee and
pull up a chair:
So...the story goes like this:

At my corporate site we have Windows computers and mostly Linux servers,
some of the workers in the IT department are "permitted" to install Ubuntu
(18.04) on their personal machines if they so choose. One of out
Supervisors has done this BUT? Somehow hes unable to "sudo" anything! And
what I thought was just a messed up password situation goes "deeper". When
he enters his REGULAR account credentials he can do administrative things,
but no sudo works, ever, regardless of the command. Mind you...his login
comes from the Windows AD (A-ctive D-irectory) server, along with his
Outlook email etc...but hes not able to do anything with sudo with this
laptop. What could possibly be wrong? I had thought it might be something
with the /etc/passwd files but all looks legit...then we had him change his
password and the change too effect just fine, he's able to access the
network and traverse files et al......but STILL he's unable to "sudo" in
the Terminal. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?....has anyone seen
this before? Is there something I might have overlooked? (maybe a hidden
file is missing?...or there's something wrong with a file-path?
Any help that anyone can give would ne much appreciated!

Thanks!

Eddie G.