What differs between Chrome & Chromium?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Aug 11 18:58:21 UTC 2020

At Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:40:04 +0200 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hello ubuntu-users
>
> Both Google Chrome & Chromium Web Browser are available in Ubuntu.
>
> Many websites ask me to use Chrome.
>
> I intend to do that unless there is something in Chromium that does
> more for me.

All Chrome "buys" you is some of Google's (non-free/non-open source)
propriatry code, which think only relates to either some Google web-apps
and/or Google's own Flash Player or some such. Chromium is generally only
available from some Linux distros (those whose maintainers are bothering to
downloading the open source and compiling themselves). The websites that are
asking you to use Chrome are speaking to Mess-Windows and MacOSX users who
generally don't have access to Chromium (since neither Microsoft or Apple
bother to download and compile Chromium, since both have there own supplied
"propriatry" browsers).  For the most part Chrome & Chromium Web Browser are
identical as far as most functionallity is concerned.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364