BIOS update and LVFS

REUBY Dianne d.reuby at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 9 12:32:23 UTC 2020

Hi, recently bought a StarLite Mark II laptop with 18.04 pre-installed, Gnome desktop.

I'm getting an update notification for an embedded controller update - stable release to fix bugs in function keys accessing boot menus. I get an error trying to run this "unable to update". Vendors website gives this as solution:

======

If you are unable to install BIOS version 1.0.4 or 1.0.5 on the Star Lite Mk II, please follow the below steps:

Turn your laptop off.
Turn your laptop back on and instantly tap the F7 key repeatedly until you see a blue boot menu appear. (If you have function lock enabled, you will need to press Fn + F7).
Select Setup from the list and press Enter.
Use the arrow keys to navigate to the boot tab.
Find the option for Fastboot and change it from Enable to Disable.
Press F10 to save and exit.
Try to install the update again

Before I start messing with my BIOS (I thought that had been replaced with some other acronym?) I'd get advice from people who know what they're talking about!

I'm assuming LVFS is a secure server owned by the laptop vendor so I know I'm getting an authorised update?

Should I turn Fastboot back on after the update?

Should I even do the update? I don't think I've ever updated a BIOS in my life!

Thanks,

Dianne