Problem installing 19.10

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 19:55:10 UTC 2019

On 22/10/2019, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/10/2019, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 17:49, Ian Bruntlett <ian.bruntlett at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Not sure about this but... I believe the part of the installer that
>>> deals
>>> with partitions does not indicate on its main screen whether or not a
>>> partition will be formatted or not. If that is the case, I feel that
>>> having that information available would be very useful.
>>
>> In the Something Else option it shows the existing partitions and to
>> use one you double click it and it brings up a popup that allows you
>> to specify the type (ext4 etc), the mount point and there is a
>> checkbox to tell it to format the partition.  If it is an existing
>> Ubuntu partition and you say not to format it then it will leave /home
>> (and a couple of other dirs I think) as they are so user data and
>> config is not overwritten.  That is not what I was trying to do
>> though.
>>
>> Colin
>>

>>> BW,
>>>

>>> Ian
>>>
>>> --
>>> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
>>> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
>>> -- Free Software page -
>>> https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software
>>>
>>> --
>>

> I did an update from 18.04 to 19.04 to 1.10, on one computer,
> installed 19.04 then upgraded to 19.10, on another computer, and, did
> a clean install of 19.10, on another computer, using created free
> space in the clean install instance (I copied the data, and then
> deleted the / and /home partitions, from and old Debian 7.8
> installation, that I still had, from when I was (at that time) still
> trying to get this computer working).
>
> The one problem that I had, in the procedures, was in the cases of the
> upgrades, where, when the process gets to the screen where it says x
> number of packages will be installed, x number of packages are no
> longer supported, and x number of packages will be removed, to view
> the packages that are to be removed, the dialogue box expands, so that
> the bottom, where the buttons to proceed or quit, are visible,
> disappears off the bottom of the screen, never to be seen again, even
> after the area where the packages are listed, is minimised, so, the
> upgrade procedure has to be killed and restarted.
>
> That, I think, is a bug.
>
> After the 19.10 is installed, the applications are <expletive>,
>
> On one computer, in trying to get some useful applications installed,
> the Software Buttocks would install two or three programs out of the
> selection queued for installation, then shut the computer down. After
> this happened a few times, I managed to get synaptic installed, and
> that installed all the packages that I sought, without any problems.

> [...]

Oh, and, for anyone who does not know, the strain of Ubuntu, to which
I refer, is UbuntuMATE, where 19.10 is referred to as the paper cut
release - it is more like the cut your wrists release.

So, I am back in my better version number - 16.04.6.

I will see what 20.04 brings - maybe that will be a decent version,
with decent and usable applications.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale