Always need to enter password again

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sat Oct 12 18:22:14 UTC 2019

Am Samstag, den 12.10.2019, 12:39 -0500 schrieb C de-Avillez:

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:12 Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de>
> wrote:
> > You're right. I don't use it that often. But sometimes I have a
> > long-
> > running job which I don't want to do in a terminal window. When I
> > check
> > the progress, I need to switch to the virtual console and back. It
> > just
> > happened to happen a few times recently. Not sure any longer what
> > it
> > was precisely.
>
> You can use byobu for long-running shell sessions. Or just tmux, or
> screen, but I personally prefer byobu *over* tmux to  just tmux or
> screen. It will survive logoffs.

I've read about byobu and tried it a bit. Looks fancy, suitable for
sophisticated users. It seems like overkill for my needs. I just start
a new terminal window, when I need another terminal.

And, I'm an xterm user. I've configured it to accept additional key
combinations for editing the command line. For instance,
ctrl-backspace will delete the word left of the cursor. It looks like
byobu uses the gnome terminal, which doesn't support the additional key
combos.

> Nowadays, the real (and, very much, only) reason to use virtual
> terminals is to recover from a stuck graphical session.
>

> > I'm just surprised of the Gnome3 behaviour, since I don't see the
> > benefit of it.
>
> I see it as an additional protection — a security feature, if you
> will.

Cheers
Volker