Always need to enter password again

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 12 17:39:20 UTC 2019

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:12 Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:

> You're right. I don't use it that often. But sometimes I have a long-
> running job which I don't want to do in a terminal window. When I check
> the progress, I need to switch to the virtual console and back. It just
> happened to happen a few times recently. Not sure any longer what it
> was precisely.

You can use byobu for long-running shell sessions. Or just tmux, or screen,
but I personally prefer byobu *over* tmux to  just tmux or screen. It will
survive logoffs.

Nowadays, the real (and, very much, only) reason to use virtual terminals
is to recover from a stuck graphical session.

> I'm just surprised of the Gnome3 behaviour, since I don't see the
> benefit of it.

I see it as an additional protection — a security feature, if you will.

Cheers,

..C..
--
..hggdh..