Any suggestions for library administration software please?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 00:02:57 UTC 2019

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 05:17:15PM -0500, Udvarias Ur wrote:
> Dear Mr. Fletcher,
>
> As I am also interested in Open Source library software I read this thread
> with some interest.
>
> I was disappointed with the responds and though, they neither helpful nor
> answered your question, so I searched (once again) for a solution.
>
> I found this
>
>    Check Out Open Source Library and Collections Management Software -
>    Linux.com
>    <https://www.linux.com/news/check-out-open-source-library-and-collections-management-software/>
>
> The article at above URL specifically states that Koha, "… developed for
> public libraries in New Zealand …", is "… scalable to libraries of different
> sizes, from small private collections to large, geographically-remote
> library systems with multiple branch locations."
>
> There are a number of other suggestions in the article. Koha, because it is
> scalable, and the oldest (and therefore most mature) is likely the best bet.

Do you know offhand what is typical to present to patrons or researchers?
Say I want to use the facilities for research, I do a keyword
search on offerings can I download a list of bibtex entries for the hits
along with maybe library specific info ? My current crusade is to get
most web pages to provide bibtex for themselves similar to the way
"Share" features are ubiquitous. I guess it would be a good start
if libraries made digital citation information easy to manipulate,
never mind hardware stores :)

Are there other industries with the same requirements? It sounds like indexing
is a bit library-specific but loaning things out and keeping track of
patrons may be a common web-based task. The html asset management systems like
joomla I thought may be a good place to look for web interfaces for
patrons and staff.