question about PciExpress slots and SSDs

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Nov 15 11:06:22 UTC 2019

I have a Fujitsu Esprimo P910 system running xubuntu 19.04 to which I
am thinking of adding a bigger SSD.  It already has a 128Gb SSD for
the OS but that is just an 'ordinary' 2.5" SATA one that I simply
connected to a SATA interface and thus it runs at maximum 600MB/s.

The motherboard has unused PCIExpress slots as follows:-

    PCI-Express 3.0 x16                 1 x (312 mm / 12.29 inch) Full height
    PCI-Express 2.0 x4 (mech. x16)      1 x (312 mm / 12.29 inch) Full height
    PCI-Express x1                      1 x (312 mm / 12.29 inch) Full height
    PCI (32-bit / 33 MHz)               1 x (170 mm / 6.7 inch) Full height

Now I know I need an adapter to plug a 'PCIExpress' NVME SSD into one
of these slots but they're not all that expensive, e.g.:-

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adwits-Express-PCIe-based-Adapter-Factor-PCIe-x16-NVMe/dp/B07GWNB1CX

So, if I get something like the above (alternative recommendations
welcome) will I be able to get a fast[er] NVMe SSD and have it "just
work" or are there BIOS and OS ramifications?

--
Chris Green