wanted: suggestions for used Linux compatible notebooks

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 13:35:15 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 12:22 PM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Avoid Dell, HP or Sony.
>
> Toshiba can be OK.
>
> But I would _strongly_ recommend Thinkpads.
>
> Note, *NOT* IdeaPads or any other range. Thinkpad or nothing.

I've installed Linux on Dell, Lenovo (IdeaPad and ThinkPad), and
Toshiba laptops, so I don't see why/how you can be this categoric.
Especially since Dell sells some models with Ubuntu pre-installed. As,
IIRC, Oliver G pointed out on this list, the Dells with Ubuntu
pre-installed don't have the same hardware installed as the same
models with Windows pre-installed. I bought this summer a Dell laptop
with Windows pre-installed and it's running Ubuntu without a hitch.
The strong Lenovo recommendation might've been valid 5 or 10 years
ago, but I'm not convinced that it's still sound.