Firefox 67.0 NOT WORKING

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu May 23 09:04:38 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 10:29:26AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2019 07:47:11 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> >> The problem with some bugs is, that not everybody suffers from those
> >> bugs, using the same application with the same versions of
> >> dependencies, even not when using the same distro. OTOH some users
> >> suffer from the same bug, even using different distros. My guess is,
> >> that it is related to the desktop environment and/or window manager,
> >> as well as to the used hardware.
> >
> >I was also going to mention if you can find the browser executable run
> >ldd on it. I had a messed up upgrade on Ubuntu 11 and I had put some
> >newer packages into temporary directories. Often I could fix or break
> >things by exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH and getting the apps to use or not
> >use various combinations of libraries. This was kind of a mess but may
> >be useful for finding incompabibilities.
>
> 1. How do you run ldd against an executable you can't find?

If you had seen my earlier post on the thread that was my first point
although I don't think I mentioned the similar issue with chrome that the
thing on PATH is a script hiding an executable but yes you can eventually find it.
I just went to the firefox website in the past and downloaded several versions
so I could figure out which ones worked on Ubuntu 11.

> 2. Regarding such voodoo bugs ldd doesn't help at all. On my machines
>    you won't find soname issues.
>

> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ ldd firefox
> ldd: ./firefox: No such file or directory
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ ldd /usr/bin/firefox
> 	not a dynamic executable
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ strings /usr/bin/firefox
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ ldd /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
> 	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffe66911000)
> 	/usr/lib/libgtk3-nocsd.so.0 (0x00007fe643e53000)
> 	libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fe643dd1000)
> 	libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007fe643c0c000)
> 	libdl.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00007fe643c07000)
> 	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007fe643a77000)
> 	libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007fe643931000)
> 	libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007fe643915000)
> 	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 => /usr/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fe643e8d000)
>
> However, it doesn't mean that downgrading one or several libs and
> recompiling against the downgraded libs won't solve an issue. Compiling
> bloatware such as firefox could take hours, so trial-and-error
> compiling against different library versions could be way to time
> consuming. On Arch you would even need to rebuild a package with debug
> symbols. On Ubuntu you could replace all needed packages by packages
> compiled with debug symbols from repositories, as long as you won't use
> different versions of dependencies.

That was my point of changing the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, IIRC again I had that
kluged with the SSL fiasco among other issues.
The first step is just running it or one of them from command line with
something like a verbose option enabled and see what it thinks its doing.

> In short, troubleshooting some bugs could be way to time consuming for
> those who use the computer to get work done. Let alone that it already
> requires a learning curve just to use debugging tools, even without
> understanding the output, just to provide ouput for developers who
> understand the it.

Staring at a blank app or cursing at it may not help much either although
I've gotten pretty good at the latter. With FF again you can just go
get older versions and IIRC you just unzip, cd into it, and run ./firefox blah blah
With n versions if you think they stop working beyond version m, which
may not be the case here, you only need to download order log_2 n wrong onese :)

And it is probably even more important for people who need to
keep their porn connection functional... Personally I hated debugging
some of these things with other objectives on the list but often
these are investments and reusable skills result.