19.04 in virtualbox

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 21:04:58 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 04:14:59PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Fri, 3 May 2019 15:47:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >>Wow. From too little to perhaps a little too much! :-o
> >
> >Perhaps another reason to takle a look at Linux containers. The virtual
> >emulations provided by VirtualBox in combination with the real
> >hardware, unlikely gains much of the advantages (theoretically and
> >perhaps in practise) provided by a Ryzen. It might be an advantage for
> >the host, if at all, but for the VBox guest?
>

> PS: My old CPU failed when installing proprietary Linux binaries, due
> to not supported SS{,S}E3 instructions, my new, just an
> Intel Celeron doesn't. AFAIK no distro compiles packages against higher
> than SSE2. Super-CPUs such as the Ryzen e.g. provide SSE4.1, SSE4.2
> instructions, but as long as packages aren't compiled using this
> and similar instructions, you gain not much. Actually your electricity
> bill will rise for more or less no advantage.

You can laugh about this but I built a dust cover for my new Dell Precision
with switcher claimed to be about 82 percent efficient. Obviously
with restricted airflow I'm concerned about thermal issues and power input.
It is based on a strategy to minimize dust,  which ultiamtely coats the heat transfer surfaces,
by recirculating filtered air and dissipating heat through a thin metal box wall that also makes
a travel case.
The "/sys" entries are
pretty impressive and I think combined with a clip on ammeter I can get
some real data on these issues.
Right now I'm just looking at
echo cooling  `cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device*/cur_state  `
#echo `cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp `
x=`cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp`

with no idea where these sensors are or what they mean but just opening
a browser seems to raise one of them. Maybe combined with the CPU
clock frequencies I can get some idea what is going on- no indication
the cooling devices are changing state though.

After all the complaining I did with my single core sub Gb emachines browsing
with Beaver-on-a-stick you would think the people who are energy
conscious would make their code tighter. Send only text emails to neomutt
and keep the carbon footprint down :)