19.04 in virtualbox

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri May 3 14:14:59 UTC 2019

On Fri, 3 May 2019 15:47:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> model name      : AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor
>>> cat /proc/cpuinfo  |grep -i hz
>>
>>Wow. From too little to perhaps a little too much! :-o
>
>Perhaps another reason to takle a look at Linux containers. The virtual
>emulations provided by VirtualBox in combination with the real
>hardware, unlikely gains much of the advantages (theoretically and
>perhaps in practise) provided by a Ryzen. It might be an advantage for
>the host, if at all, but for the VBox guest?

PS: My old CPU failed when installing proprietary Linux binaries, due
to not supported SS{,S}E3 instructions, my new, just an
Intel Celeron doesn't. AFAIK no distro compiles packages against higher
than SSE2. Super-CPUs such as the Ryzen e.g. provide SSE4.1, SSE4.2
instructions, but as long as packages aren't compiled using this
and similar instructions, you gain not much. Actually your electricity
bill will rise for more or less no advantage.