floppy disks?

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Mar 9 18:56:49 UTC 2019

On Sat,  9 Mar 2019 11:58:31 -0500 (EST)
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Sat, 9 Mar 2019 08:21:15 -0800 "Ubuntu user technical support,
> not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 23:14:51 -0800
> > rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> > > I never thought I'd use the ones I had in older comps so didn't
> > > remove/store them. Fair chance I could find one where I live, but
> > > most likely will be in an old PC. :-) If so, I'll just use the
> > > old PC. IIRC there may be IDE card issues I might have to deal
> > > with in my Ubuntu box. Not sure I want a semipermanent install on
> > > that box.
> > >
> > > I found a new 5.25" drive online - for $180, with the note: "It
> > > can be difficult or impossible to install these drives in a modern
> > > computer." :-))
> >
> > so if you get that far you'll be able to read a 5.25" diskette, then
> > what? The same old machine is not likely to have a usb socket or
> > know what to do about FAT32, maybe look for a dial-up modem? and so
> > on, you may have to reproduce the stages of storage access in the
> > intervening years. Perhaps 5.25" to 3.5" and then a more recent
> > Linux will have good support for old filesystems.
>
> Note: the floppy *controller* and the connector on the motherboard
> for  5.25" and  3.5" floppies are the same.  (The drive end
> connectors are different.).
>
> It is possible to get a 10BaseT (at least) Ethernet card for any
> really old computers, so it will be possible to connect it to a LAN.
>
> Many *not too recent* (last 10 years or so) motherboards do have a
> floppy interface on the motherboard, even if there is no actual drive
> mounted. Worst case, would be to take the case cover off and have the
> floppy drive hanging by its cables. If you have an "older" but not
> too old machine -- sort of between the start if USB and the final end
> of motherboards supporting floppies you might be able to transfer the
> data to a USB thumb drive. You might be supprised as to how many very
> recent motherboards do have a floppy header connector on them.  Many
> have IDE connectors too.

What you have described is just what I would be hoping for. Reading the
above reminds me that I have, in the past, given some old computers to
a lady who recycles them for poor students. She's very good at juggling
parts to make old stuff work, and may even have something I could use
for a while. Sounds like the old box route is the best way to go.

I'd like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions. This
has been quite helpful.