Testing memory and wiping hard drive before installing Ubuntu

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jun 20 17:22:01 UTC 2019

On Thursday 20 June 2019 13:03:37 Ian Bruntlett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am refurbishing a Toshiba Satellite C50-A-1JM laptop that was
> donated to the Computer Wombling Project. This is the approach I
> usually take:-
>
> 1. Test memory with a memtest86+ CD-R
> 2. Wipe the hard drive with dban CD-R
> 3. Install Ubuntu or Lubuntu from DVD
>
> Sadly, steps 1 and 2 don't work any more. The system currently has
> Windows and Ubuntu on the drive and I am trying to wipe the entire
> drive to ensure the donor's privacy.
>
> I can get to a GRUB prompt. Maybe I could type in some kind of GRUB
> command to boot from a CD-R - what command(s) would I have to use?
>
> TIA!
This is often done by a selection made from the bios. Mine gives me 2
choices, bios setup or boot from. You probably want the boot from, but
may need efi aware cd-r's or dvd's.  That all post my hardware, so
someone with experience should chime in here.

> Ian

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis