Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS -> Ubuntu 19.04

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jun 15 04:05:50 UTC 2019

At Sat, 15 Jun 2019 02:52:43 +0200 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 14.06.2019, 17:09 -0400 schrieb Paul Smith:
> > On Fri, 2019-06-14 at 22:26 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > > This means that I have to migrate from my 18.04.2 LTS system to the
> > > newest Ubuntu version.
> > >
> > > Can this be done with do-release-upgrade or something like that? I
> > > really don't want to set up everything from scratch _again_.
> > > There's a lot to setup.
> >
> > It is definitely supported to use do-release-upgrade to move between
> > non-LTS releases; I do it all the time (I don't use fresh install
> > modes). However, unfortunately you can't skip non-LTS releases;
> > that's not supported.
>
> It's possible to upgrade from one LTS release to the next, skipping the
> non-LTS releases in between...

Yes, the *default* behavour of do-release-upgrade when run on a LTS release is
to go to the next LTS release. At least that is what happened when I ran it on
laptops and workstations running 14.04 -- it jumped to 16.04, and then when I
ran it (again) on the 16.04 install, it jumped to 18.04.  I upgraded two
laptops and three desktop machines from 14.04 to 18.04 that way. (I upgraded
the diskless workstations using a fresh install of of 18.04 on a fresh VM and
then just updated things in the DHCP server's dhcpd.conf file.)

I have no clue what do-release-upgrade does on a non-LTS release.

> > So you can't jump straight from 18.04 to 19.04; you have to
> > go to 18.10 first then from there to 19.04.
> >
> > Also, I don't know enough about Kubuntu to say if you can upgrade
> > from a Kubuntu release to a vanilla Ubuntu release... that's
> > something I've never really considered trying.
>
> That's my question...
>
> > It should be _possible_ because all the packages will have
> > appropriate names... however of course at best you'll have a lot of
> > leftover Kubuntu packages lying around on your Ubuntu system.
>
> I don't get this. Are you saying that the Kubuntu package names won't
> clash with vanilla-Ubuntu package names?

I would suspect that going from Kubuntu to vanilla-Ubuntu *might* be strange,
but why would you do that?  But I don't know.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933