Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS -> Ubuntu 19.04

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sat Jun 15 00:52:43 UTC 2019

Am Freitag, den 14.06.2019, 17:09 -0400 schrieb Paul Smith:
> On Fri, 2019-06-14 at 22:26 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > This means that I have to migrate from my 18.04.2 LTS system to the
> > newest Ubuntu version.
> >
> > Can this be done with do-release-upgrade or something like that? I
> > really don't want to set up everything from scratch _again_.
> > There's a lot to setup.
>
> It is definitely supported to use do-release-upgrade to move between
> non-LTS releases; I do it all the time (I don't use fresh install
> modes). However, unfortunately you can't skip non-LTS releases;
> that's not supported.

It's possible to upgrade from one LTS release to the next, skipping the
non-LTS releases in between...

> So you can't jump straight from 18.04 to 19.04; you have to
> go to 18.10 first then from there to 19.04.
>
> Also, I don't know enough about Kubuntu to say if you can upgrade
> from a Kubuntu release to a vanilla Ubuntu release... that's
> something I've never really considered trying.

That's my question...

> It should be _possible_ because all the packages will have
> appropriate names... however of course at best you'll have a lot of
> leftover Kubuntu packages lying around on your Ubuntu system.

I don't get this. Are you saying that the Kubuntu package names won't
clash with vanilla-Ubuntu package names?

> Given all the above it _might_ make sense to do a fresh install of
> Ubuntu 19.04 for this first step, then proceed to use do-release-
> upgrade for future upgrades to newer releases.  But, it depends on
> how painful that will be for you to re-set up versus cleaning out
> stuff after an upgrade.

That's what I want to avoid. But having a lot of stale packages lying
around isn't an option for me either.

Or, what would cleaning out the obsolete stuff involve..? Is it just
identifying no longer needed packages and remove them? Is there more to
regard?

Thanks,
Volker